End of the Season

August 22 – 29 Just as well we moved from our narrow, roped-in anchorage at Knight Island as the winds swung 360, although stayed 10-15knts. Our new anchorage in the bay on Samson Island gave us lots of swing room and shelter from weather in pretty much any direction. We had a Bald Eagle visit…

Notre Dame Bay

August 16th We departed Admiralty Inlet early afternoon trying to time with the forecast winds and to ensure our arrival in daylight.  The wind forecast was for roughly 24-30 hours of solid north west wind, swinging north later the next day and fading, which would give us a comfortable 17-22 hour downwind run, depending on…

Northwest Arm, Nfld

Sunday August 9th Groceries, tourist shop, post sent. We had a lovely visit with Dan and Dom and we heard about their Viking Route westward passage – left UK in April, north through Scotland and the Faroes, Iceland, Greenland, then Labrador/Newfoundland, and we shared our ideas for Newfoundland.  They reported that Eastern Greenland was accessible…

The Last of Labrador

Sunday August 2nd Left Caplin at 7am, heading south, taking the inland passage.  Steve took the time to record the depths as we left Caplin Bay as this is not recorded on any chart but a few depths on the hand drawn one in the CCA Guide (which we hope to update). A turn south,…

Southbound

Guidebook Gunkholing July 25 Gunkholing is a term that refers to exploring smaller, less visited, often less charted bays and harbours.  As this applies to much of Labrador, in addition to our nautical charts, we often download a google earth picture of the ‘gunkhole’ in the hopes that it provides more details of the surrounding…

Thar She Blows…

July 18th Despite the winds howling around us, our little corner of Shoal Bay offered us a comfortable night and we woke to calmer winds and sunny skies.  We launched the dinghy, explored the bay, and found a great place to land the dinghy, tie up and hike the hills.  Having moved further north, there…

Big Land, Water, Winds

July 11th   Awoke to a sunny vista at Pitts Arm. Visited Henley Harbour, abandoned settlement…fascinating… and found the remnants of Fort York 1766, moat and all. Very cool historically. Check out Ed O’Reilly’s youtube . July 12th The weather was good to head north and sea state flat (hurrah!). Destination: Charlotte Harbour, 40nm away.…

Week 5 – Shifting Winds

Correction- they were dolphins at Baie de L’Oest! And we saw more as well as our first Puffin sighting on the way out. July 4th We motored and sailed to the Petite Rigolet Channel in the St Augustine archipelago, PQ, first in fog (it was 5:30am) then under a clear sky. Temperatures are 10 degrees…

Darn East Wind!

This is a totally different trip! The wind and weather have been against us. Instead, we are gunkholing our way up the northern Quebec coast… it is beautiful. We will get to Labrador …just later than we thought. June 27th We left Sept Iles at 10ish into fog. With radar on and B&G tracking we…

A Sailing Schedule?

“Sailing” and “Schedule” should never be used in the same sentence. Perhaps not even in the same paragraph.  Our goal is always to do as much sailing as possible and motoring as strictly a last choice, or when sailing is unsafe.   This year, the winds have either been too weak, or from the wrong direction,…

Montreal to…

June 13th We departed Montreal 7am to get to Sorel. Despite Montreal being a busy commercial port, we worked our way through the freighter traffic. Once past the enormous commercial port, the river quickly becomes picturesque French Canadian river towns, each with their own church spire. We had decided to split the journey to Quebec…

Week One

June 5:  PCYC to Kingston Tikaani is on the move! We aimed for the first week of June and just made it! Despite weeks of planning and preparing, it always seems like a rush to depart. The frig repair was the last, so we thought!, until our ‘reliable’ outboard motor, decided to flash the check…

2026 Boat Prep

Tikaani is in the water! …A little later than our original “schedule” (but a cruiser should never use the word “schedule”). Delays included the Bow Thruster – she got all new parts with the final diagnosis of seized bearings. As well, the Spring in Southern Ontario was cold and long, which limited our ability to…